Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Forever Lazy and Other Thoughts

Today I received an awesome present in the mail from my wonderful boyfriend. It was a forever lazy!
Not a Paid Advertisement and Not Me Pictured

This thing is amazingly comfortable.  I have pretty much been wearing it since I got home and if wearing a forever lazy was an acceptable fashion statement you bet your blog reading butts that I would   find a great pair of heels and work it! 

I feel that after a day like today I earned an evening lazing around. Today my brain made new wrinkles.  I felt them develop early this morning while discussing pos-colonialism, Homi Bhabha, and Hegel. 

I know this might sound difficult or even ridiculous but learning new concepts and trying to connect those new concepts to established ones is quite an exhausting experience.  Now, I do not get out of breath or anything but I find that after a new wrinkle develops that my brain wants to rest.  This is probably compounded by a lack of sleep and not enough caffeine but nonetheless brain wrinkles really take it out of me.  

On a non-related wrinkle note I was pursuing books and articles online a few days ago looking around to see if there was anything written about the pregnant performing body. While I have no idea if my paper proposal about Lucille Ball's pregnancy will be picked for MATC,  I do eventually want to write that paper. I have a pregnancy in Hollywood paper already written that I feel needs a rewrite and this or another conference would be a great opportunity to do so. 

But back to the browsing. I didn't find anything which simultaneously excited and worried me.  After talking to Joey Watson about it, he suggested searching for maternity and seeing if that pulled anything and also found Knock Me Up, Knock Me Down: Images of Pregnancy in Hollywood Films (2012) by Kelly Oliver. Anybody heard of her?   Oliver is the W. Alton Jones Chair of Philosophy at Vanderbilt University and loves her Kirsteva and Derrida.  She also has many other books under her belt including but not limited to Noir Anxiety: Race, Sex and Maternity in Film Noir (2002), Women as Weapons of War: Iraq, Sex and the Media (2007), Reading Kirsteva (1993), and Animal Lessons: How They Teach Us to Be Human (2009).

I am excited about this book because it is a place to start on this topic and it dosen't really step on my scholarly toes. Oliver's case studies are of very recent films including the most recent Twilight film.  If I were to follow through on this topic for a larger project I would start by looking at the very large picture of historical theatrical images of the pregnant body and then move into film and television.  

Of course I am also trying to take the advice of my two PhD. lady friends and keep my mind and options open to new topics.

This is why I am also trying to figure out what my third class should be next semester.  I am already taking a French reading knowledge class and a performance studies class on visual culture.  The third class is up in the air. There are not any women's and gender studies classes available and I am hesitant to take undergraduate courses for graduate credit, although Directing II could be interesting..   There is a mystery theatre graduate class on the schedule called Performance Theory/Criticism? I don't know really.  I am mostly worried about wasting time and money taking courses that won't do me any good towards my PhD. 

On top of those things in the back of my mind I am trying to think of awesome plays that I can submit to direct next year.  I am thinking something lady oriented, with a small cast and relatively accessible.

If you have a suggestion or two drop it like its hot! 

As for now, I am just going to hang here in my forever lazy.  Laze-on my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment