Friday, October 12, 2012

Rage Pump and Pink!

I would first like to apologize.  Yesterday I was extremely stressed and under a lot of pressure (the majority of which I was putting on myself).   I expect so much from myself and get extremely disappointed in myself when I feel like I have produced something that isn't my best work.  I judge myself a lot and I usually end up driving myself just a tiny bit crazy and that is when the dramatics and the waterworks happen.

Growing up I never learned the right way to express my anger.  Unlike Macy who has her rage box, I seem to have a rage pump that just creates tears whenever I want to punch, scream at or bite someone/thing.  This angry waterworks situation gets me into trouble because it just happens and doesn't stop happening until I have boohooed the rage away.  What makes it worse is when people draw attention to the rage pump and then want to do incredibly nice things like comfort me with words and hugs.  At that point there is no turning back.  Once a comfort hug has been deployed the dam bursts and I become a wordless, sobbing mess.  So for future reference just ignore me when my eyes well up with moisture because if you don't the facade will fall apart and the rage will come bursting forth in liquid form. 


Putting all that emotional, personal stuff to the side I would like to draw your attention to this.  



It is the artist Pink's new music video for her song Try.  Go ahead and watch. I'll wait.

You done?  Good.

The lyrics for the song are..meh...  What I am more interested in is the choreography/movement of the video.   

What the hell is this? Is this dance? Is this fight coreography? Is this weird circus feats of strength? 

I was pretty impressed by both Pink and her male counterpart. (I mean jeez look at those abs!)  I think I understand the use of chalk as the non physical scars left behind after a fight with a lover but their choreography looked pretty physical to me. It reminds me of something I once saw on So You Think You Can Dance once.   I had to watch it a couple times to make sure that the guy wasn't actually kicking Pink in her lady spot.  

Also can someone please explain the outdoor chair-throwdown and subsequent game of chicken with their bodies? 

This video is a mix of weird, artsy performance stuff and concrete performance conventions and even though I don't fully understand every bit of it and can't fully explain it, I still like it.

I felt the same way about studio production La Pascera that I watched this week.  There were moments when I had no idea what was happening   This confusion was inpart due to the style of writing of one of the playwrights. She writes very beautifully but sacrifices form and structure for that beauty.  

During the performance I caught myself not understanding exactly what was happening onstage but still being intrigued by the director's use of movement.  The actors weren't exactly dancing on stage but they also were not moving in a realistic manner. It was another mix of weird, artsy performance stuff and concrete performance conventions.

Today some of my students asked what the play was about because they had seen it and didn't quite understand the message. I sympathized with their confusion and then was able to explain to them the themes of the play and how they related to the movements. They seemed happy with my explanation. 

So now it is your turn.  What the hell is the above?  I vote crazy circus strength.








No comments:

Post a Comment