Friday, October 19, 2012

Big Tex and Russian Red

Today has not been a banner day in Texas.  A bomb threat at the alma mater and the tragic loss of a Texas icon, Big Tex.

For those of you who have never been to the Texas State Fair, Big Tex was a 52 foot tall cowboy with a 75 gallon hat and a 50 pound belt buckle.
That may or may not be smoke coming out of his neck.



Big Tex started out as a giant Santa Claus in 1949 and in 1952 became a part of the state fair.  He would greet guests as they came in with the help of a voice actor located in a trailer near by.  His clothes were provided by a Fort Worth clothing company and he was loved by all that visited the state fair.  

Big Tex was not constantly on display. He was brought out only for the fair and for those special occasions. I met Big Tex during my visit to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas for the bowl game between TAMU and University of Tennessee. 

It did not take long for Big Tex to burn as experts believe his metal frame acted as a chimney.

  
But do not dismay.  As Big Tex was being removed by crane there was already talk that he would be back and better than ever in time for next year's state fair.

I hope you enjoyed your mini Texas history lesson.  

P.S. I made my first MAC makeup purchase today and bought a lipstick called Russian Red.  


MAC Russian Red $15.00


I am in love!

Don't worry. I am not planning on going on a MAC binge anytime soon.  I am just very excited that I have finally found the perfect red lipstick for me!  


No comments:

Post a Comment