Sunday, October 14, 2012

Joann's Fabrics & the CLAW

Today was a pretty fantastic day.  I spent the majority of it out and about with my mom and biker dad.  For my birthday we went on a shopping spree at Joanna's Fabrics and Crafts.  She wanted to get me something fun to do so that when I was lonely or bored I could do the fun thing and and be happy.



So I maybe went a little crazy.  I got all kinds of crafty things. New watercolors, brushes, canvases, some jewelry making supplies, yarn, crochet hooks, a big book of crochet steps and patterns, colored pencils, a big thing of sharpie markers, and coolest of all a SMASH book with tons of tiny SMASH trinkets.

Also, I received a non-birthday gift of a giant new microwave that, unlike its predecessor, it doesn't turn on by itself and a lamp for my reading nook.  I also got my mom's old t.v. so now I can sit in my living room and do things as opposed to doing everything in my bedroom.  I am so glad that I was able to spend time with here this weekend. It was good helping of chicken soup for my soul.


In an unrelated note, I was listening to NPR this afternoon when I heard this story about a new sport for women . Arm wrestling. The theatricality of it is similar to roller derby and wrestling   The female contestants have costumed personas like wrestlers and are sexy personas like the women of roller derby.  Here is a link to the interview.  NPR on CLAW  The woman featured in the interview is know as "Ze Dirty Butcher".  You can see her and more participants here.  In the interview she acknowledges how putting on her costume allows her to escape her own life and become another person. I feel like that phrase gets thrown around a lot in the theatre. What exactly involves becoming another person?  Do you forget that you are yourself? Do you know your yourself and use that to be the other person? I haven't done a whole lot of acting in my life and don't have a lot of theories or opinions; except that I kind of hate realism and the method.

As far as becoming an over-the-top professional diva of arm wrestling?  I kind of want to become one.

No comments:

Post a Comment