Monday, October 15, 2012

The Uniform

Alright, who here knows what the "uniform" is on a college campus?

At least it is the uniform on TAMU's and LSU's campus.

Originally constructed out of the sorority culture, the Uniform is as follows:

1) Oversized T-shirt. Maybe in a neon color. Maybe from their dads closet of fishing shirts. 

2) Nike Running Shorts, a.k.a. "Norts, a.k.a diapershorts (they have built in underwear).

3) Athletic shoes or flip flops.

Put together these items create the look below:

These women's identities have been altered for their fashion safety

Now I hear some of you out there saying, "But they are college students! Give them a break. They probably rolled out of bed and just came to class."  

To that I say, NO GOOD LADY!  While their cloths scream hobo, their hair and makeup say housewife. The carefully curled hair and lined eyes tells a different story of time and care.
But of course, everyone is allowed to wear what they want no matter how dreary it looks.

So why am I bringing this up?  Well, I used to be a wearer of the uniform.  Now I never got into shorts but during my undergraduate degree I wore jeans and a t-shirt to class pretty much every day.  I think at one point I had 15 different pairs of jeans.  I could go two weeks without having to do laundry.  

It all changed the last year of my undergrad when a professor who is near and dear to my heart started to gently and lovingly judge my uniform and; honestly, to this day I don't remember what she said or how she did it but after a couple of months I finally got the hint that jeans and and Aggie t-shirt are not cute. 

When I started my MA it was made clear that you would be judged for what you wore and every class day was a battle with my closet to find an outfit that would impress.  Of course this was more fun then stressful because I am a girl that loves fashion and loves looking good.   Those two years of fashion bootcamp turned me in to the skirt wearing, print loving, dress buying, jean hating PhD. student I am today.  I no longer dress to impress out of fear. Instead I dress the way I dress because I am comfortable in those clothes and they make me feel good.  However, if you try and take away my weekend wear of cut-offs and ankle boots I might have to stab you with a bobby-pin. 

I understand the position of privilege I am in to be able to sit here and talk about being fashionable in my graduate program.  I get it. #firstworldproblems. However, I do think it is important that I look my best when I am on campus but especially when I am TAing or teaching.  I think "looking the part" is part of being the person who knows the most about theatre in the room.  If I came to school in the Uniform and tried to teach class I feel there would be a significant amount of students who wouldn't take me seriously as an instructor.  I also secretly hope that some of those women, in their hot pink oversized shirts and black shorts will see my funky patterned pants or  fantastic fitting dress and get inspired to try dressing different then the mob. 







No comments:

Post a Comment