Monday, October 29, 2012

Some Tempting Photos...

 I am going to be seeing my best girlfriend in a couple of days and that makes me so very excited.  It has only been three-ish months since we last hung out but after spending  two years practically on top of each other during our MA three months feels like forever.  

Also,  at six pm this evening I was done with my assignments for my playwriting class. All that is left to complete the requirements of that class is show up and read plays out loud.  Now don't worry, I am not kidding myself on the whole playwriting front.  Writing plays is not really my thing.  I enjoy telling stories but having to sit and type it all out is kind of a pain.  I really rather just tell someone my idea for a play and have them ghost write the dialogue.  That is something I can get behind.  I can also get behind directing.  That is where the fun really lies for me.  I love making things happen on stage. 

This Summer I did a bit of both playwriting and directing.  Well, it was actually more adaptation than writing but I still enjoyed it.  Some people might think that cutting Shakespeare's The Tempest from a three hour show to a one hour show is ruining a great work of art. I think its just cutting out the fat.  For last season of Blueprint Theatre the season committee asked for directing proposals centered around the theme of comic books and superheros.  The Tempest  is my favorite Shakespeare and I decided that it would completely fun and crazy awesome if I turned Prospero into a super villain and the island into a magic comic book island that turned all its visitors into over the top comic like figures.  I should also mention that I gender swapped almost all of the roles except for Trinculo the fool and Stephano the drunk.  

So if you are keeping score, that means that Prospero was played by a wonderful actress Kara Ray
Prospero
Then there is Mirando, her dimwitted son.
Brock H. as Mirando


Caliban was a beautiful monster and an ex-member of team Prospero!


Anna P. as Caliban
The final member of team Prospero was Ariel pictured on the right.
Tori D. as Ariel
I replaced the masque with a conga line.

And Ariel's final monologue. Those women are the Queen of Milan and her posse. 


So there you have just a few images from a pretty freaking cool play.  I mean, I liked it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment