Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This Is My Confession

I have a confession to make.  I kind of failed at my 30 days of exercise challenge. Well, I didn't fail, I crash and burned.  I was going strong for about two weeks and then I was in pain and I took a break. Then my birthday happened and I just fell off the exercise train.  I also think that my expectations were too high.  I had magic weight loss dreams of losing 20 pounds in two months and was obsessed with weighing myself every morning and sometimes at night. Pretty unhealthy. 

So instead of obsessing over every single pound and feeling bad when water weight shifts up or down a few tenths of a pound I have come up with a new plan. 

But I don't know why I think it is important to tell you, the internet about my new plan, I don't think it will make me any more accountable. It didn't the last time I told you about some weight loss plan. It's hard because I really don't want to whine about body image. I feel like there are so many other people in the world that do that already and I am all about breaking new ground. At the same time, I feel like maybe, it is good to get our feelings out. Maybe, it can be productive.  I think at the end of the day I just want to feel good about myself. Right now I don't.

Part of those bad feelings stem from body image issues. I have always had them. Ever since I was a little girl I knew I was bigger than the other girls my age.  I used to joke that when hanging out with a group of girlfriends "I am always the butch one." I can't really remember a time when I looked in the mirror and didn't compare myself to another female friend, or some magazine picture or Barbie.  I also don't feel good about myself because I just don't feel good.  At 26 years old, going up two flights of stairs should not get me out of breath. I am out of shape, extremely and I don't know a way to fix that. People suggest finding an exercise that I love but, the things I love doing like dancing or taking classes are not free.   

People also say that 80% of getting healthier is what you eat. I totally believe this but, I just suck at it. I have no will power when it comes to food.  If I want cake, I will find a way to eat cake. When shopping for groceries at the store, I buy things that are processed and full of calories because they are cheap, quick, and easy to make.  I have told myself that I will eat good all week and then have a cheat day. However, this just ends up with their being 2 days of good eating and the cheating the rest of the week. 

I don't know how to eat. I don't know how to exercise. I need help. 

I want to lose 50 lbs in one year.  I think this is a reasonable goal.  It is an average of 1 pound a week.  

So where do I start? What changes do I need to make to lose this weight, to get healthier, to feel happier? 

Talk to me.  I am taking advice and suggestions. 



- E

3 comments:

  1. Well, I suggest you rethink your daily diet. And with diet I don't mean "don't eat", "eat less", or "eat vegetables". Is simply about checking your daily nutrition: What do you eat at breakfast? At lunch? At dinner? Do you eat in between meals?
    Check the times you eat, but EAT. For example in my case, my stomach is not so big so most people think I don't eat, but in fact I do, I just try to combine it with healthy stuff certain days. For example if I ate a pizza, next day I would have fried fish with lettuce and tomatoes for lunch, to have it balanced. You simply should have a good breakfast, a good lunch, and finally a soft dinner. Eat enough to be stuffed, and not more than that. On breakfast I have a juice, a turkey sandwich and if I have enough time, milk. During the day I drink lot of water. And also, avoid eating between meals, that's not good. On your lunch, if you eat chicken, meat or any protein which is necessary, complement it with a salad instead of rice or potatos. And you can change it, other days you can have some other stuff like fish with salad or a boiled potato. Try to not combine proteins on the same dish. Try to replace things you eat that have many calories (like bread) for stuff with less (those brown bread i don't know their name in english). If you feel hungry, try to eat fruits (except bananas). The thing is that you eat well during your first two meals, which will help you keep you up during the day; and on night eat something smooth, like a half Lt yogurt, or milk. Body process food slower during the night, which makes it as eating 4 times. And moreover, avoid sodas. Will be better if you replace it for water. If you are like Matt and can't stand the water, try juices. I'm still trying to make Matt drink less sodas sigh... Well, hope it helped you a bit at least, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could offer advice, but I have the same problem. Just take it a day at a time and try to be more aware of what you are putting in your body. Make one small change at a time and it will be easier to stick to than trying to change everything at once. Even eating salad once a week or dancing in your room to your iPod once a week is more than you are doing now. Just do one thing every day to try to meet your goal. I don't know if you like cooking but the fact that I do helps me because I try to find healthy and also yummy recipes to make and it is stress relief for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splurge on the dance class. I did it this year, and it's probably the best decision I've made.

    ReplyDelete