Friday, November 16, 2012

How I Watched a Tv Show

It has been a while but, rather than linger on that fact I want to jump into a discussion of the television show How I Met Your Mother.

I started watching this show earlier in October and I really enjoy it.  It has it's problems, which I will discuss later but, for the most part I like it.

Reasons why How I Met Your Mother is fun.

1) There is an overarching story/objective that contains interesting mini-stories. The whole story within a story set up is a pretty creative way to design a television show. Plus it is great to hear Bob Saget at the beginning of almost every episode say "Kids..."

2) Jason Segel is amazing.  I have loved him ever since his role in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. His full frontal nudity in the movie is a bonus but he is also great in the muppet movie.  His general love for puppetry is awesome. Also, he physically resembles Kevin, and his character "Marshall" reminds me of Kevin.

3) Neal Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan are also so amazing! I wish I had better ways to describe how fantastic their characters and work on the show are.

4) Both of Alyson Hannigan's real life baby bumps were featured on the show.  Her first child was featured as a "food baby" after a hot dog eating contest. Her second bump acted as her characters baby bump in the seventh season of the show.  This is really freaking cool if you are me and are interested in pregnant actresses.

5) This show is hilarious. There are jokes that survive over seasons making the audience feel like they are part of the group. In on the inside joke.  The show references Star Wars... 'nough said.

While this show is funny and all, it does have its problems.

Reasons why How I Met Your Mother is less fun.

1) The laugh track.  There is a laugh track. It doesn't really bother me but some people hate it. I am just used to it I guess.

2) Some might argue that this show is the new Friends. Meh.  I can see it.

3) The biggest issue I have with the show is a lack of diversity in the casting.  It is a show about 5 white people.  There are guest spots that diversify the whiteness but the main cast of characters and the people they interact with are white. Also, the world of How I Met Your Mother is a world of "1st world problems.  Those problems are funny, and interesting, and heart-breaking at times but they take place on the shallower end of the pool.


All in all, I would not have just finished watching the entire series (available on Netflix) if I thought it was a horrible show.  It is funny, relatable and good entertainment.  I give it 4 out of 5 podiums. 







No comments:

Post a Comment